Trump’s legal threat against the Center for American Progress centers on a sharp factual dispute: whether National Guard deployments reduced violent crime. The clash also puts pressure on the line between political criticism and actionable defamation.
Donald Trump’s personal attorney demanded that the Center for American Progress retract a report about National Guard deployments, claiming the think tank defamed Trump by saying there was no evidence the deployments reduced violent crime. The lawyer threatened a $5 billion defamation lawsuit if CAP did not comply by Friday.
The nine-page letter, sent Monday, turns a policy fight with direct relevance to Washington, D.C., into a legal and First Amendment dispute. At issue is not only Trump’s National Guard strategy, but who gets to characterize contested evidence about crime and government action.
A demand with a $5 billion threat
According to a letter reviewed by The Hill, attorney Alejandro Brito accused CAP of falsely portraying Trump as having knowingly lied to the public about the effectiveness of his National Guard deployments.

Brito argued that CAP did more than reach a competing academic conclusion. He said the group turned what he called a contested empirical question into a false and defamatory accusation against the president.
The letter demanded that CAP retract the report, apologize and compensate Trump by 5 p.m. EDT Friday. It said Trump would otherwise pursue available legal remedies for what the letter described as financial and reputational harm, with a lawsuit seeking at least $5 billion.
The size of the threatened claim is notable, but it is still a threat rather than a filed case. The available reporting does not establish whether Trump ultimately filed suit, whether CAP changed its report, or whether the parties entered any private discussions after the deadline.
The report’s central crime claim
CAP drew Trump’s objection with a report published last month that said there was “no evidence” his National Guard deployments reduced violent crime. The report also accused the administration of taking credit for a crime trend that had already been underway.
That wording matters. Saying there is no evidence for a claimed effect is not necessarily the same as saying an effect is impossible. But Trump’s attorney contends CAP’s analysis conveyed the more serious allegation that Trump knowingly misled Americans.
The underlying disagreement is therefore partly about data and partly about interpretation. Measuring whether a deployment changed crime can require separating its effects from existing trends, local policing changes, seasonal shifts, reporting practices and other conditions that may affect violence.
Neither side’s position, as described in the available accounts, resolves that methodological argument on its own. CAP says the evidence does not support Trump’s claimed results; Trump’s lawyer says the group distorted a genuinely contested question into a personal accusation.
CAP calls the threat baseless
Neera Tanden, CAP’s president and CEO, called the legal threat “baseless” and defended the report as rigorous, evidence-based research and analysis. Tanden said First Amendment protections allow the publication of facts and analysis that conflict with an administration’s arguments.
CAP framed the threatened lawsuit as an effort to silence unwelcome research rather than a legitimate answer to defamation. Its response emphasized that major disagreements over public policy should be addressed through public debate, not intimidation.
CAP general counsel Kevin H. Metz sent a written response Friday calling a potential lawsuit “absurd.” He said the organization would welcome discovery if Trump sued, including material about the cost of the National Guard deployments and the White House’s role in them.
Metz also argued that a legal precedent against CAP could reach conservative policy organizations in a future administration. His point was broader than this report: think tanks of any ideology regularly publish analysis that presidents and political leaders may find damaging.
Why a defamation case would face hurdles
Defamation claims generally require more than showing that a statement was harsh, unfair or based on an analysis the target rejects. A plaintiff must typically identify a false statement of fact, establish the required level of fault and show harm. The standards are particularly demanding when a public official is involved.
For a public figure such as Trump, the legal debate would likely focus heavily on whether CAP made a provably false factual assertion and whether it did so with actual malice, meaning knowledge of falsity or reckless disregard for the truth. Courts also distinguish factual claims from protected opinion and interpretation.
That does not mean a lawsuit could not be filed, or that litigation would be consequence-free for CAP. Defending a case can be costly and time-consuming even when a defendant believes the speech is protected. Discovery could also expose internal records and force each side to defend its account of the underlying data.
Trump’s lawyers have pursued several defamation actions against critics and media organizations during his presidency, often seeking very large damages. The Hill reported that some past cases have led to significant settlements, which gives a demand letter practical leverage beyond its ultimate prospects in court.
National Guard policy is the real fight
The legal language should not obscure the policy issue beneath it. Trump has promoted National Guard deployments as part of his approach to public safety, while CAP’s report challenged the claim that the deployments caused a reduction in violent crime.
Supporters of an aggressive deployment strategy may argue that visible personnel, coordination with local authorities and deterrence can improve safety even when it is difficult to isolate a single measurable effect. Critics may counter that deploying military forces into domestic public-safety settings carries financial, civil-liberties and governance costs that require especially strong evidence.
Washington, D.C., is central to that broader debate because federal power, local authority and public safety often overlap there in unusual ways. A dispute over crime statistics can quickly become a dispute over who controls the narrative around federal intervention in the nation’s capital.
The public record described in the reporting does not settle the broader question of whether every National Guard deployment works the same way. Results can vary by location, mission, duration, coordination with police and the specific crime measures being examined.
What remains unresolved after Friday
CAP’s response makes clear that it is resisting Trump’s demand rather than conceding the report’s conclusions. The key unanswered question is whether Trump converts the $5 billion threat into a formal lawsuit.
If he does, the case could put CAP’s research methods and the administration’s crime claims under legal scrutiny. If he does not, the episode may still serve as a warning to advocacy groups, researchers and publishers weighing how forcefully to challenge official claims.
For now, the dispute remains a collision between two competing accounts of the same policy: Trump’s side says the think tank defamed him over National Guard results, while CAP says it published protected, evidence-based criticism. The eventual legal outcome, if there is one, will matter—but so will the continuing argument over what the data actually shows.











Leave a Reply