Pennsylvania TikToker Agrees to Plead Guilty Over Trump Death Threats

TikTok

The case shows how quickly violent political posts can become federal criminal matters. It also lands amid heightened concern over threats against public officials after recent political violence.

A TikToker allegedly threatened to assassinate Donald Trump if he did not step down as president, and federal authorities are involved in the case. Court-record reporting identifies the accused in a TikTok threat prosecution as Jacob Buckley, 22, of Port Matilda, Pennsylvania, who authorities said posted violent messages before Trump’s Jan. 20 inauguration and has agreed to plead guilty.

The phrase “This isn’t a threat, it’s a promise” captured the alarm around the alleged social media posts. Buckley faces a possible maximum sentence of five years in prison under a federal law that bars threats against the president, president-elect or vice president.

The accused TikTok user

According to court-record reporting by The New York Times, Buckley accepted responsibility in a plea agreement filed in U.S. District Court in Williamsport, Pennsylvania. Prosecutors said the posts appeared on TikTok on Jan. 16, four days before Trump’s inauguration.

Donald Trump
Image: Gage Skidmore, via Flickr, CC BY-SA 2.0.

The charging account described a series of violent comments tied to Trump’s return to office. One post quoted in the court record said the country was heading into a “literal oligarchy” and that the writer was going to kill Trump.

Authorities said Buckley threatened Trump more than once that day and also made threats toward Trump supporters. The reported plea agreement means the case is no longer only about what investigators say happened online; it is now moving toward formal acceptance of responsibility in court.

What federal authorities allege

The core allegation is not that Buckley criticized Trump or expressed anger about politics. Prosecutors say the TikTok posts crossed into direct threats of violence against a protected federal official.

That distinction matters. Federal law gives broad protection to political speech, including harsh, offensive and hyperbolic commentary. But prosecutors can bring charges when statements are alleged to be “true threats” rather than opinion, advocacy or rhetorical venting.

The available reporting says Buckley is accused under a statute that makes it illegal to threaten the president, the president-elect or the vice president. The maximum penalty reported in the case is five years in prison, though any actual sentence would depend on the judge, sentencing guidelines and the facts accepted in court.

Why TikTok posts draw scrutiny

Threat cases involving public officials increasingly begin on social platforms, where posts can move from a small audience to law enforcement attention almost instantly. TikTok adds another layer because video, comments, usernames and account activity can help investigators connect a post to a person.

That does not mean every reckless post becomes a federal case. Investigators typically look at the wording, context, repetition, timing, identity of the target, and whether the person making the statement appears capable of acting on it.

In Buckley’s case, prosecutors pointed to the timing before inauguration and the direct language about killing Trump. The public record described multiple posts, not a single stray line.

There is also a broader political backdrop. Trump survived an assassination attempt at a campaign rally in Butler, Pennsylvania, in July 2024. Threat reports involving him have since been assessed in a climate where law enforcement is acutely sensitive to the risk of online language becoming real-world violence.

A separate Indiana case

Buckley is not the only person accused of making violent TikTok statements about Trump. The Associated Press reported earlier on a separate case involving Douglas Thrams, 23, of Goshen, Indiana, who was accused of using TikTok to urge attacks on the government and call for Trump’s death.

In that Indiana case, the FBI said Thrams posted videos in which he was visible, audible and identifiable. He was arrested and awaited a federal court appearance in South Bend, according to AP.

The cases are separate, and the allegations differ. But together they show a common federal response: when online threats name the president and appear specific enough to investigate, agents may move quickly to identify the speaker and bring the matter into federal court.

The free speech line

Threat prosecutions sit near one of the most sensitive lines in American law. The First Amendment protects furious political speech, anti-government speech and even statements many people would find disturbing.

What it does not protect is a true threat. Courts weigh whether the words, context and surrounding facts show a serious expression of intent to commit unlawful violence. The government does not always have to prove a detailed operational plan, but it must clear more than mere bad taste or political outrage.

That is why these cases can be contested. Defense arguments often focus on whether a post was a joke, exaggeration, emotional outburst or constitutionally protected rhetoric. Prosecutors, by contrast, highlight direct wording, repeated threats, references to timing or public events, and the fear such statements can create.

Buckley’s reported plea agreement changes that posture. By agreeing to plead guilty, he is not merely facing an accusation; he is accepting responsibility as part of a court process, subject to a judge’s review.

What happens next

The key next step is the court’s handling of the plea and sentencing. A maximum sentence of five years does not mean Buckley will receive five years. Federal sentencing usually turns on guidelines, criminal history, the nature of the threat, acceptance of responsibility and arguments from both sides.

It also remains unclear from the available reporting what sentence prosecutors will recommend, whether the defense will seek leniency, and how the judge will assess the seriousness of the TikTok posts.

The larger takeaway is already visible. Violent political language online is no longer treated as background noise when it targets federal officials. Platforms may host the posts, but federal courts can become the place where their consequences are decided.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *