Prince Harry and Meghan Reportedly Plan Britain Return With Children

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle featured editorial graphic

A reported move back to Britain would mark the Sussexes’ biggest change of course since settling in California in 2020. The plan may bring the family closer to King Charles, while reopening difficult questions about security and their place in royal life.

Prince Harry and Meghan are reportedly planning to move back to Britain with their children, Prince Archie and Princess Lilibet, after six years living in the United States. Reports say the family could relocate later this month to a non-royal home outside London, a move that would place them nearer to King Charles while leaving major questions over security unresolved.

The reported return matters because Harry has repeatedly said he did not feel it was safe to bring Meghan and their children to the UK without police protection. Even if the move goes ahead, it would not restore the Sussexes as working royals.

A reported return after six years

The Guardian, citing reporting by the Daily Telegraph, said Harry, Meghan and their children are expected to move to Britain later in August. The family has been based in California since 2020, after stepping back from official royal duties and building a new life in the United States.

The reported property would be a private, non-royal residence outside London. Archie, seven, and Lilibet, five, have reportedly been enrolled to begin school in September, suggesting the plan would be a meaningful family relocation rather than a short visit.

There has been no public announcement from Harry and Meghan confirming the reported move. That distinction is important: the details in circulation are based on reporting and unnamed sources, not a statement from the couple or Buckingham Palace.

Closer to King Charles, not royal work

According to the report, King Charles was told about the decision on Sunday. Harry and Meghan reportedly met the king at Highgrove in Gloucestershire last month, a reunion that followed years of strained relations and limited contact.

A move to Britain could give Charles more routine access to his younger son and grandchildren. For a family whose relationships have been scrutinized through public appearances and headlines, proximity could make private contact easier without guaranteeing a broader reconciliation.

The expected arrangement is also described as firmly separate from the institution of the monarchy. Harry and Meghan relinquished their roles as working members of the royal family, and the reported relocation would not change their status as private individuals.

That is the key line between a personal reset and a royal return. Living in Britain would not necessarily mean balcony appearances, official engagements or a renewed place in the family’s working structure.

Security remains the central obstacle

The biggest unanswered issue is protection. Harry has long argued that the safety arrangements available to him in Britain are insufficient for Meghan and their children.

In May 2025, he lost a legal challenge over the decision governing his police protection in the UK. After that ruling, he told the BBC: “I can’t see a world in which I would bring my wife and children back to the UK at this point.”

That makes the reported change particularly striking. The family’s security arrangements have not been disclosed, so it is not clear what, if anything, has changed since Harry’s comments and legal defeat.

Some observers will see the report as evidence that a practical arrangement may have been reached behind the scenes. Others will note that there is not yet enough public information to draw that conclusion. A planned address, school enrollment and family visit do not explain how the security question would be handled day to day.

California would still be part of life

The Sussexes are expected to retain their homes in Montecito, California, and Portugal, according to the report. That points to a family life that may remain international rather than a clean break with the United States.

California has been the base for their post-royal business and media work. The couple’s original five-year Netflix agreement, signed in 2020, produced projects including Meghan’s lifestyle series With Love, Meghan; they later signed a fresh multiyear film and television deal with the streamer.

Their commercial life has not unfolded without setbacks. Their Spotify podcast deal ended in 2023 after 12 episodes. Still, retaining a California home would allow them to continue operating across both sides of the Atlantic if the Britain move is confirmed.

For their children, the reported plan could mean a more rooted school routine in Britain alongside continuing connections to California. It would also increase the practical challenge of shielding their private lives from intense public interest.

Reconciliation has limits and conditions

Harry has said he wants reconciliation with his family, even while acknowledging that deep disagreements remain. After the 2025 security decision, he said he had forgiven relatives and did not want to continue fighting.

Yet a move closer to the royal family would not erase the disputes that have defined recent years. Harry and Meghan’s departure, interviews, memoir-related fallout and legal battles have all complicated relationships that are both personal and institutionally sensitive.

The Prince and Princess of Wales have reportedly also been informed of the planned return. But being informed is not the same as signaling a repaired relationship, and no details have been made public about how often the families might see one another.

What happens next depends on confirmation from the Sussexes and on the arrangements behind the report. If Prince Harry and Meghan do establish a home in Britain, the outcome may be less a return to their former royal lives than a new attempt to live near the family on terms they can control.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *