Judge’s Rebuke Puts Trump’s IRS Deal Under a New Cloud

gavel, auction, hammer, justice, legal, judge, law, court, lawyer, wooden, bid, business, symbol, judgment, mallet, verdict, sentence, legislation, gold, authority, courthouse, decisions, punishment, criminal, bang, gray business, gray company, gray law, gavel, gavel, gavel, gavel, auction, justice, legal, legal, legal, legal, legal, judge, judge, law, law, court, lawyer, lawyer, lawyer, lawyer

The lawsuit over Trump’s leaked tax records is over, but the way it ended is now drawing scrutiny. A judge’s order sharpened concerns about conflicts, transparency and taxpayer-funded payouts for people claiming political persecution.

President Donald Trump’s lawsuit over the leak of his tax records has been dismissed, but the case is not fading quietly.

A federal judge’s order has turned the spotlight from the original leak to a much larger question: whether the settlement tied to the case is being used to create a taxpayer-funded vehicle for Trump allies who say they were unfairly targeted by the government.

A dismissal with a warning

U.S. District Judge Kathleen Williams dismissed Trump’s lawsuit Monday, according to The Associated Press, after the administration announced a settlement framework connected to a nearly $1.8 billion “Anti-Weaponization Fund.”

But the dismissal came with unusually sharp criticism. Williams admonished government agencies, including the Justice Department, for failing to provide settlement documents or otherwise reassure the court that the resolution was appropriate.

The judge wrote that no agency had filed materials showing the settlement was proper despite an outstanding question about whether there was an actual case or controversy before the court, AP reported.

That point matters because Trump, as sitting president, was suing federal entities whose decisions are ultimately subject to presidential direction. Williams had previously appointed attorneys to examine whether that created a conflict in the case.

The fund changes the stakes

The Justice Department said the settlement would create a $1.776 billion fund for people who believe they were victims of politically motivated investigations or prosecutions.

Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche described it as a lawful process for people who claim they were harmed by “lawfare” or government “weaponization” to seek redress. The department said applicants would not face partisan requirements and could seek both money and an apology.

That framing tracks Trump’s long-running claim that the Biden-era Justice Department was weaponized against him and his supporters. He has repeatedly pointed to the now-abandoned federal criminal cases over efforts to overturn the 2020 election and the handling of classified documents at Mar-a-Lago.

Democrats and watchdog groups see something very different: a settlement that could route public money to people close to the president, including those who have made political loyalty central to their claims of mistreatment.

Democrats call it a slush fund

Nearly 100 House Democrats filed a brief urging the court to block the arrangement, according to AP. They argued the deal could unjustly enrich people close to Trump and invite weak or politically motivated claims.

Rep. Jamie Raskin, the top Democrat on the House Judiciary Committee, called the case a “racket” designed to move taxpayer money into what he described as a fund for Trump allies. Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington also blasted the arrangement, calling it one of the most corrupt acts in American history.

The Justice Department has defended the fund by pointing to past compensation programs, including one created during the Obama administration for Native American farmers who said they faced racial discrimination.

Critics say the comparison does not fit. Their argument is that this new fund is not simply compensating a defined group harmed by a government program, but could reward people who were investigated or prosecuted for alleged criminal conduct and who now claim political persecution.

The tax leak still matters

The underlying lawsuit stemmed from the leak of Trump’s and the Trump Organization’s confidential tax records. Trump alleged the leak damaged his reputation and harmed his business standing. Donald Trump Jr. and Eric Trump also joined the case.

The leak had already produced a criminal conviction. In 2024, former IRS contractor Charles Edward Littlejohn was sentenced to five years in prison after pleading guilty to leaking tax information about Trump and other wealthy Americans to news organizations.

The charging documents did not name the outlets, but the timing and descriptions aligned with reporting by The New York Times on Trump’s taxes and by ProPublica on wealthy Americans’ tax practices.

The Times reported in 2020 that Trump paid $750 in federal income tax in the year he first entered the White House and paid no federal income tax in some other years, citing large business losses. Trump has long objected to the publication of his tax information.

A conflict question lingers

The most legally sensitive part of the case is not whether the leak was improper. It is hard to dispute that confidential tax information is protected by law, and the contractor who leaked it was prosecuted and imprisoned.

The thornier issue is what happens when a sitting president sues agencies inside the executive branch and then those agencies agree to a settlement tied to a massive fund.

Williams had asked outside attorneys to assess whether the Justice Department was properly insulated from Trump’s control of the case. Those lawyers told the court they had concerns, AP reported.

That is why the judge’s criticism is likely to resonate beyond this lawsuit. If executive agencies can settle a president’s personal claims in a way that creates a broad compensation program for his political supporters, the separation between public authority and private interest becomes harder to see.

What happens next

The case itself has been dismissed, but the political fight over the fund is just beginning. Blanche is expected to face questions on Capitol Hill about the Justice Department budget and the new compensation program.

The department says a five-member commission appointed by Blanche will oversee the fund. Trump, asked at the White House whether people who committed violence on Jan. 6 should receive compensation, said it would depend on a committee and described the fund as reimbursing people who were “horribly treated,” according to AP.

Former Attorney General Merrick Garland has repeatedly denied that the Biden Justice Department acted politically, saying decisions were based on facts, evidence and law. The department under Biden also investigated Democrats, including President Joe Biden’s handling of classified information and Hunter Biden’s tax and gun cases.

For now, the judge’s order leaves a clear takeaway: Trump’s IRS lawsuit may be closed on paper, but the settlement attached to it has opened a new front over power, money and whether claims of “weaponization” can become a pathway to federal payouts.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *